Do Mattress Pads Help?
Mattress Topper Buying Guides | Special Needs
Do you think that mattress pads are meant to cover your bed for comfort? Think again, because mattress pads can also help protect your mattresses from spills, bugs, and wear and tear. A mattress pad is a helpful bedding item, yet it is often overlooked by customers.
Mattress pads offer multiple functions, like protecting your mattress from elements and offering extra softness for comfort. If you’re still confused whether mattress pads are good for your bedding, read on to discover their uses and features.
What is a mattress pad?
A mattress pad is a covering that is designed to be placed on top of a mattress, but below the bed sheet. Usually, it is made of foam and it offers an additional layer of comfort to you. This is highly desirable if you have a worn out mattress.
If you want to keep warm during cold nights, a heated or electric mattress pad is available, like the Sunbeam All Season Premium Queen Heated Mattress Pad, which has a ThermoFine Warning System that offers consistent warmth to you.
A fitted mattress pad looks like a fitted sheet which covers the entire mattress. However, the top part of this type of covering is slightly padded or quilted. You can fit a mattress pad on most standard sized mattresses.
A mattress pad will protect your mattress from:
- Spills and liquids—Aside from comfort, a mattress pad can offer protection to your mattress. There is a waterproof pad that can shield your mattress against spills and liquids. Just like the Queen Size SureGuard Mattress Protector which is 100% waterproof. It protects your mattress from perspiration, stains, and bed wetting.
- Wear and tear—If you want to protect your mattress from daily wear and tear, a cotton mattress pad is your best solution. For instance, the Queens Size Hypoallergenic Quilted Stretch-to-Fit Mattress Pad by Hanna Kay offers great endurance against high washing temperatures. It offers a 10-year warranty feature that ensures its durability.
- Allergens and bed bugs—A mattress pad can also protect you from allergens and bed bugs. If you’re sensitive to dust, animal dander, and dust mites, then you might consider getting a mattress pad with enhanced anti-allergen properties. If you want to have your own anti-allergen mattress pad, then try the Comfort Shield Anti-Allergen Bed Bug Proof Soft Terry Waterproof Mattress Protector. This product is perfect for those with allergies and asthma conditions.
What are the best mattress pads for comfort?
- Mattress pads processed with natural fibers—If you want temperature control, look for a mattress pad that corresponds to how hot or cold you are at night. Mattress pads processed with natural fibers like down, cotton, or wool are ideal for temperature control. This is because they don’t retain moisture like synthetic materials do.
- Down-filled or down-alternative mattress pads—If you want to find a pad that conforms well to your body, settle for a mattress pad that transforms your bed into a custom-fit design. A mattress pad filled with down can help maintain an even temperature as you sleep. However, if you’re prone to allergies, you could switch to down-alternative mattress pads, like Mastertex Fitted-Luxurious Down Alternative Mattress Pad.
- Memory foam mattress pads—A memory foam mattress pad can also adjust to your body while you sleep. It conforms to your body better as it gets softer in the areas where your body presses the most. This occurs due to the synthetic pad responding to body heat. This type of mattress pad is also perfect for those with a partner who tosses around. With this material, the transfer of motion is minimized. As a result, you’ll be less bothered with your partner’s movement on the other side of the bed. A highly rated memory foam mattress pad is the King Size 3 Inch iSoCore 3.0 Memory Foam Mattress Pad. This product conforms perfectly to your body contour. It responds to your body temperature by minimizing pressure points.
- Cotton Mattress Pad—This is another alternative if you want a bed that feels like a custom fit to your body. It is recommended that you choose a cotton mattress pad with a higher fill count, just like the Sleep Philosophy All Natural Cotton Filled Mattress Pad, whose filling 95% cotton. As a result, a soft and supple bed are achieved for many users.
Features to think about
- Fabric content—If you seek excellent comfort and durability, look for a mattress pad with a 100% cotton cover. This is even better than a blended cotton and polyester mattress pad. Search for those mattress pads that are already treated with fabric protection because they can resist stains and water spills.
- Thread content—This determines the number of threads made in every square inch of fabric. It is recommended that you invest in a pad with a higher thread count because it offers better resistance against wear and tear. At the same time, it makes mattress pads softer to the touch.
- Filling—Mattress pads have a variety of fills, like polyester, wool, down, and cotton. Many mattress pads are filled with polyester to act as allergen barrier. It is an obvious presumption that if you want more cushion, look for a thicker fill. Meanwhile, a down-alternative fill offers extra comfort and foundation.
Based on the information above, it is safe to say that a mattress pad offers protection and comfort to both the mattress and you. If you want a protection for your mattress against liquid spills, wear, and tear, then a mattress pad is helpful.
Also, mattress pads can help you achieve comfort while sleeping. They can also help protect you from allergens and bed bugs. If you want to protect your investment on the mattress, it might be wise to cover it right away with a good mattress pad.