It isn’t always easy to get a good night’s sleep, especially in the cold winter months. That is why there are so many products that you can purchase to keep warm when it’s icy outside. One of these items is a heated mattress pad. However, some people aren’t sure that these products are safe. Keep reading for more information on what these pads are, and to determine if you can trust them in your house or not.
What it is
Heated mattress pads are simply pads that sit on top of your mattress. They are similar to memory foam pads, which you may be more familiar with. However, these heated pads are able to make the bed warmer, so you won’t have to use things like extra comforters or electric blankets.
What it does
In essence, a heated mattress pad is able to keep your mattress warm, so that the whole mattress heats up gradually to prevent you from getting too cold while you sleep. While there are other solutions for this problem, this type of pad is not only easy to use, but it is safer than other products.
For example, a heated mattress pad is safer than an electric blanket in a couple of different ways. If you have ever used an electric blanket, you may notice that they can short out if you use them for too long, and they even have the capability to cause a fire. Besides that, you may not be able to clean them easily, so it can really be a pain. Mattress pads are much different.
Here are some of the common features of heated mattress pads. These features aren’t found on every single pad, but they are found on many.
- Dual Temperature Controls. Most units are able to be set at two different temperatures, so you and your mate will be heated up to whatever your preferences are. There isn’t a one size fits all approach, which is great if you are usually colder than your spouse or vice versa.
- Different Levels of Heat. Pads also usually have more than one setting, so you can stay toasty whether it’s very cold outside, or just a little chilly. This can help you during the crisp fall or the frosty winters, since it will work for both seasons.
- Can be Washed. Many of the most popular heated mattress pads can be washed in the washing machine. You will have to read the instructions to know for sure, and to familiarize yourself with the process. However, generally, you’re able to remove the controls and the wires, so you can wash it.
- Automatic Shut Off. One of the most important features is that they have an automatic shut off. Some of the top selling products turn themselves off if they are left on for 10 hours, which can really be useful, especially if you forget to turn it off when you wake up. Most people don’t sleep for 10 hours at a time, but in case you do, this can also be handy.
- Soft to Sleep On. Besides keeping you toasty, they are comfortable to sleep on. This means you won’t have to choose between a regular mattress pad and a heated pad, since both can be quite comfortable.
All of these features make these pads safer, so you don’t have to worry about them being in your home and using them. They are perfectly safe, and most people don’t have any problems with them. Of course, if you still aren’t convinced, here are a few tips to keep you protected while using this type of pad:
- Make sure it stays in good shape. Be sure to look over your pad from time to time to make certain that there isn’t anything wrong with it, and to check it for rips or tears.
- Don’t turn it on when you don’t need it. If you don’t need to use this pad, don’t turn it on. If you aren’t using it unnecessarily, then it should last longer.
- Get a size that fits your bed. Make sure that you get a pad that fits your bed the correct way. If you have to, measure the width and length of your bed to make sure that it’ll be a good fit. If it’s too small or too big, it may become damaged more easily.
- Don’t let kids play with it. As with other electrical items, you may want to keep it away from your kids. They shouldn’t be playing with the controls or jumping up and down on the bed. This can also make sure that the pad will last longer, so you can get more use out of it.
- Replace it if there is a problem. If you see any problems with the pad when you’re checking it out, make sure you replace it. Either take advantage of the warranty that may come with your model, or dispose of it and get another one. You don’t want to worry about safety problems if you’re using it when it is damaged, as it may become unsafe.
You don’t have to be concerned if heated mattress pads are safe enough for you to use in your house because they definitely are. They don’t have a lot of issues because they can detach from their wiring, be cleaned regularly, and are able to turn themselves off. Additionally, they have other features which make them worthwhile for using in your home, especially if you live somewhere that gets rather cold for much of the year.
As long as you keep them looking good and make sure that there is no damage on the pad, it can keep you warm for a long time. There are many models to choose from and they come in all shapes and sizes. That means there is one that is perfect for you and your bed.